HOME STUDY During Quarantine

Friday, May 29, 2020



Going back to school (physically) during the current pandemic is still not totally allowed. There are some few exceptions that are being considered like limiting to 20 students per class but it is still subject to discussions and lots of debates. Just recently (as of writing this post), President Duterte expressed his disagreement about students going back to school until an effective vaccine is already on a roll -- which in my opinion is the best route to take during this health crisis. I am also glad that the government is providing several options for students to continue studying without putting their lives at risk. A couple of the plausible options are online schooling and studying through modules for those who are not capable of doing online study.

Our daughter is just 2 yrs old so I'm not really worried about the schooling matter. But before COVID happened, we did plan on enrolling her to a summer workshop, nursery or a playgroup (whichever is available) this summer. Considering our location, the best one is KUMON from the neighboring city which is just 20 mins away from our municipality. We also planned on joining her in our Church's Summer Pre-Kindergarten Program which did not also push through because of the said pandemic.

I had to change some plans. I wanted my daughter to continue learning despite of being quarantined at home. Yes she is just 2 years old but I'm happy that she somehow already has some basic knowledge about shapes, colors,  numbers, letters and reading. She's on a roll and I don't really want to lose the momentum especially when she's obviously enjoying our learning activities at home. I did some research here and there and stumbled on several helpful sites and social media groups that share ideas and printable materials for home schooling. I have no plans on home schooling her, but that's what I had to do at the moment while being quarantined. 

I ended up buying school supplies to pursue our learning endeavors at home. I'm one kuripot momma but I do splurge on some things that I consider worth my money and investments. Or should I say splurging "the kuripot way" - HAHA!


Supplies and materials that I had to buy:

1. Bond papers
2. Scissors
3. Cartolinas
4. Colored papers
5. Construction papers
6. Double sided tapes, glues and different types of adhesives
7. Plastic covers, envelopes and folders
8. Whiteboard and permanent markers
9. Ring binders
10. Printer
11. Laminating machine and laminating films
12.  Clear books
12. Pens, pencils, crayons and shapeners



 I have created a lot but I can't post them all here. Below are just some of the learning materials that I made:

  • SHAPES & COLOR MATCHING
All of the sheets were covered in scotch tapes to "sort of" laminate it. I didn't have an A4 laminating film because I can't really order online (quarantine and shipping issues) and I can't go out either. This momma got to be resourceful. Thankfully, the scotch tape works just fine! I put a double sided tape at the back so Izzay can stick the small pieces to their corresponding colors and shapes. 


My daughter liked these so much that we still use these until today. I don't really pull out the same materials everyday so that she won't get bored. Which is why I had to create a lot of different color-and-shapes-related worksheets to use different ones everyday.



  • ALPHABETS
Since Izzay is already familiar with the big and small letters, this alphabet ice cream activity was a total hit for her. She liked the idea of creating an ice cream by putting the lower case letters to their corresponding uppercase letters. "Lowercase" and "Uppercase" are too hard to pronounce for a two year old. So I decided to call them MOMMY LETTERS and BABY LETTERS instead which was very effective. She was able to memorize them easily. The sheets were also covered in scotch tape but the ice cream pieces were laminated. Putting on scotch tapes is a bit of work but it's worth it for someone like me who doesn't really have that much of a choice :D 



  • CVC - Three Letter Words
After teaching my daughter the sounds of each letter, we moved on to blending sounds of two letters then to three letter words. I wrote the words in plain bond paper and laminated each of them to make them look like flash cards. We created different kinds of games for this sort of reading activity that it has actually become one of Izzay's favorites. 



  • SIMPLE SENTENCES
After several CVC reading practices, Izzay has gotten pretty confident in reading simple three letter words with short vowel sounds. So I decided to proceed practicing reading simple sentences consist of CVC words with common sight words. These are just written on colored cartolinas then I covered them with scotch tapes. They are still thin like papers but they are very sturdy that Izzay can't even tear them apart. Told you, laminating them with scotch tapes is a wonder!



  • PRINTABLE WORKSHEETS
These are the different printables that I got just recently from the different sites and social media groups. My favorite is the NAME TRACING sheet which helps Izzay practice writing her own name through tracing while Izzay's favorite is the shape matching sheet which she will never get tired of. 



  • LEARNING FOLDER
This is the very first learning material I created for my daughter. It's a collection of different worksheets which I called Izzay's Learning Folder. It has everything from numbers, letters, colors, shapes, opposites to different kind of puzzles. 




These are not my own designs and the credits are not for me to take. Below are the links where I got their soft copies all for FREE:












These materials are not for sale nor are they meant for redistribution in any way without the owners' permission. These were provided to help us teach our children while staying at home during the covid pandemic. If you intend to use this for business purposes, I humbly suggest to create your own design and do not take advantage of those who shared their works for free. 

I hope this will help you as much as it helped me as a parent. 


'Til then, see yah!

 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Trying hard to be a photographer

Trying hard to be a photographer

ABOUT AZZY

Hi there stranger.
My name's Azenith which I constantly change the spelling to AZZYNITH when using it in the internet. My alter ego name is THINEZA. That's actually just my real name spelled backwards 'xcept for the 't' and 'h'.

Happily married, a mother, bookworm, photography enthuasiast, music lover, cat owner, koreanovelas sucker, a frustrated cook-watercolorist-calligraphist-video editor-graphic artist-writer-journalist and a bullet journal junkie. Too many frustrations huh? Well I'm just gon'na laugh all these frustrations off. HAHA! (READ MORE)